Who we are?
The International Institute for Youth Development PETRI– Sofia is established in 2007, as a joint initiative of:
- UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund
- The National Centre for Public Health and Analyses (NCPHA), Bulgaria
- Youth Peer Education Network (Y-PEER)
PETRI – Sofia is a knowledge hub and regional resource center at the National Center of Public Health and Analyses (NCPHA), Bulgaria that supports youth empowerment in the areas of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), gender equality and peacebuilding in the region of Eastern Europe and Central Asia and beyond.
Our vision and mission:
PETRI – Sofia envisions a world, where every adolescent and young person is an empowered changemaker contributing to sustainable development.
Our mission is to inspire and support adolescents and young people to become leaders that work for sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), gender equality and peacebuilding, through international cooperation and innovative approaches.
Why are we unique?
PETRI – Sofia Center combine:
- Peer-to-peer education using alternative methods of education (such as theatre-based techniques, role games, simulations, etc.)
- Experience and enthusiasm of fellows from the International network of young volunteers in 52 countries on 4 continents.
- Expertise in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) education and consultation.
- Partnership with government institutions.
PETRI-Sofia and Y-PEER trainers and facilitators took part in the second part of the Western Balkans Y-PEER Training of Trainers on Peacebuilding that gathered 21 young people from the region. The training was organized by RYCO and UNFPA and was supported by the UN Peacebuilding Fund. Due to travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, […]
On the 1st of October representatives of the Y-PEER community in Bulgaria organized a workshop in the 90th Secondary School ‘General Hose De San Martin’. Our goal was to put into action the peer-to-peer method by having a group of older students present a contemporary topic to a group of younger students. The older students were a […]
From 06th to 8th of September, members of PETRI-Sofia, the Youth Coordinator Yuliya Andzhekarska from Bulgaria and the EVS Volunteer Angela Georgieva from North Macedonia participated in the Youth Festival – Bulgaria loves young people! #TOGETHER in Veliko Tarnovo, hosted by A-TEAM Association, with the financial support of the Ministry of Youth and Sports of Bulgaria. Young […]
International Institute for Youth Development PETRI – Sofia
National Centre for Public Health and Analyses (NCPHA)
15 Ivan Geshov Blvd., Floor 2, office 62
Sofia 1431, Bulgaria
Tel./Fax: +359 2/954-6666